It is the right of every Indian citizen to exercise his right to vote. As per the Indian Constitution, a Voter ID card is required to do so. Every Indian citizen above 18 years of age can apply for Voter ID card/Election card. Apart from allowing citizens to participate in the democratic process, a voter ID card also serves as a valid identity proof to apply for a loan to buy property.
Earlier, application for Voter ID card was possible only before local or national elections. However, the Election Commission of India (ECI) has now made it easier to apply for the voter card through the online application process.
How to Apply for Voter ID Card Online?
The online enrollment process for a new voter ID card is very simple. For registration you just have to visit the official website of Election Commission of India.
The website contains all the information about the election process in India; From voter list to election schedule for upcoming elections across the country. It also contains a list of guidelines for voters and the various applications required for registration.
The process of changing the name, involving the inclusion of names of voters residing in India as well as those residing abroad and members of the armed forces, those in government service, etc. takes several forms.
For a new Voter ID application, you need to select Form 6.
To find the form, you need to select the National Voters Service Portal on the homepage of the ECI website. Here under the “National Services” section, click on ‘Apply online’ for a new Voter ID card. This will take you to the online application form.
Steps to Apply Online for Voter ID Card:
Step 1: Visit the official website of Election Commission of India.
Step 2: Click on National Voters’ Service Portal.
Step 3: Click on “Apply Online for New Voter Registration”.
Step 4: Enter the details and upload the required documents.
After submission, you will get an email on the email id provided by you. This email will contain a link to a personal voter ID page. You will be able to track your Voter ID application through this page. You should get your Voter ID card within a month of your application.
Documents required to apply for Voter ID Card:
- One passport size photo
- Identity Proof (It can be Birth Certificate, Passport, Driving License, PAN Card or High School Marksheet.)
- Address Proof (It can be Ration Card, Your Passport, Driving License or Bill (Phone or Electricity).
- Eligibility for Voter ID Card
- Applicant must be an Indian citizen.
- Applicant should have Permanent Residential Address.
- Applicant’s age should be at least 18 years.
How to Register to Vote Offline
- You can also enroll offline. Fill two copies of Form 6.This form is also available free of cost in offices of Electoral Registration Officers / Assistant Electoral Registration Officers and Booth Level Officers.
- The application accompanied by copies of the relevant documents can be filed in person before the concerned Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant Electoral Registration Officer or sent by post addressed to him or can be handed over to the Booth Level Officer of your polling area.
- Call 1950 for any help.
Note:- This information updated the official website, more information visit the official website